The Institute of High Energy Physics (IHEP) of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) was founded in February 1973. Its predecessor, IHEP Main Building (Image by IHEP)
the Institute of Modern Physics, was founded in 1950, later renamed the Institute of Physics and then the Institute of Atomic Energy, before IHEP was established from Division One of the Institute of Atomic Energy. IHEP is a comprehensive research base for particle and astroparticle physics, accelerator physics and technology, radiation technologies and applications, as well as for nuclear analytical techniques and interdisciplinary research.
IHEP currently has a staff of about 1400, of whom roughly 1100 people are research and technical personnel (about 80% of the total), 150 are management personnel, and the rest are supporting and logistic services personnel. We have 18 scientists holding positions in major international scientific organizations and academic journals.
The IHEP Yuquan Road Campus covers an area of 315,000 square meters, and encompasses a number of experimental halls, laboratories, office buildings, a library and various other supporting facilities. A new campus with an area of 600,000 square meters is under construction in Dongguan, Guangdong Province, as the site for the China Spallation Neutron Source. View video