A new vacancy has been created for a Development Engineer at a leading space technology company based in Oxfordshire. This is an exceptional role for a Development Engineer skilled in data evaluation and modelling to join a team developing new energy solutions for exciting clients in the Global space industry - organisations including NASA and the ESA.
The company's market leading ultra-high reliability battery systems are used by a host of international space companies for communications, imaging and exploratory purposes. Their batteries have been used in over 120 space missions including Rosetta, the Galileo satellites and the current interplanetary mission to Jupiter. These projects are challenging and the batteries are mission critical so it is essential they are durable enough to survive many years in space -the ultimate of hostile environments.
The Development Engineer will develop tests & qualification campaigns and evaluate the subsequent performance data to qualify current and next-generation battery technologies for future Space missions. Though experience of battery technology would be ideal it is not essential. The company are happy to cross train Engineers from related disciplines (such as Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical, Electronics, Applied Physics) who show strong skills in data evaluation and qualification -along with a passion for the space sector.
As Battery Development Engineer you will be involved in the following:
- New cell and battery qualification including:
- Test definition and management including hands-on test and inspection work
- Data evaluation including macro coding to streamline work
- Report and presentation production
- Cell performance modelling in some or all the following areas:
- Thermal / Environmental
- Electrical, Mechanical (vibration and structural behaviour)
- Providing expert technical support to the business engineering and sales teams for:
- Customer enquires & Proposal production
- Technical problem solving and troubleshooting
Requirements for Battery Development Engineer
- Degree level qualification (minimum of a good BSc/BEng, MEng or higher degree preferred) in Aerospace Engineering, Electrical, Electronics or Mechanical Engineering or a Physics related discipline.
- High level of numerical and IT skills for data analysis, data modelling, results presentation and reporting using Excel or similar packages
- VBA Macro or other programming experience for data manipulation and modelling
- Methodical approach to testing in order to maintain traceability, avoid errors and validate work performed
- Project planning, time management, strong organisation & problem solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication
Desirable (but not essential) Skills:
- Knowledge of environmental testing, high vacuums, vibration, thermal management.
- Knowledge of Space, Aerospace or other highly regulated industry
- Knowledge of and familiarity with commercial battery testers and data loggers
- Knowledge of material testing techniques e.g. XRF, FTIR, XRD etc
- Knowledge of lithium-ion batteries would be ideal -but definitely not essential