Radiation Protection Technical Engineer in the Occupational Health and Safety and Environmental Protection Unit (HSE), Radiation Protection Group (RP), Accelerators and Sites Section (AS).
As Radiation Protection Technical Engineer, you will:
- Assess radiological risks at work places in accelerator tunnels, experimental areas, laboratories and workshops of CERN.
- Perform radiation measurements in various static radiation fields as well as in dynamic high-energy multi-particle type radiation fields.
- Evaluate, analyse and process dosimetry data.
- Evaluate, analyse and process data from gamma spectroscopy, beta and alpha analysis and liquid scintillation counting.
- Draw up safety measures and working procedures; perform job and dose planning; advise personnel working in radioactive laboratories and other radiation areas on radiation protection matters.
- Prepare radioactive goods for transport and off-site shipping according to international rules for the transport of dangerous goods.
- Prepare written reports on a regular basis.
Bachelor's degree in the field of Radiation Protection, or Applied Physics or related fields with a certification in radiation protection or equivalent.
The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience in operational radiation protection, radiation protection instrumentation.
- Proven skills in documenting radiological risk assessments, measurements and procedures.
- Experience with radiation-generating instruments, e.g., X-ray generators.
- Demonstrated experience in gamma spectrometry and alpha-beta counting as well as in liquid scintillation counting.
- Experience in international rules for the transport of dangerous goods would be an asset.
The technical competencie required for this post are:
- Knowledge of radiation exposure and protection.
- Knowledge of measurement techniques for ionising radiation.
- Thorough knowledge of national radiation protection legislation or relevant European regulations.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Working in teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: keeping up-to-date with developments in own field of expertise and readily absorbing new information; sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer; proposing ways to improve or streamline existing procedures, processes and methodologies.
- Communicating effectively: ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented; providing others with timely information; selecting the appropriate medium and forum to communicate.
- Achieving results: delivering prompt and efficient service taking into account customer needs; having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English or French; ability to draw up technical texts in one of the two languages, as well as ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 24.04.2017.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry. Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Work during nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Work in radiation areas.
- interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.