Job Posting Title
US ITER Instrumentation and Controls Lead Software Engineer / NB50620602
Oak Ridge, TN (Greater Knoxville area)
Visit https://www.ornl.gov/careers to apply direct to this position.
The Neutron Sciences Directorate (NScD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) operates the High Flux Isotope Reactor (HFIR), the United States' highest flux reactor-based neutron source, and the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS), the world's most intense pulsed accelerator-based neutron source. Together these facilities operate 30 instruments for neutron scattering research, each year carrying out in excess of 1,000 experiments in the physical, chemical, materials, biological and medical sciences. HFIR also provides unique facilities for isotope production and neutron irradiation. To learn more about Neutron Sciences at ORNL go to: http://neutrons.ornl.gov.
An engineer on the Survey, Alignment, and Metrology team is responsible for using surveying/engineering design skills to plan accurate, high-precision alignment on a wide variety of mechanical systems in support of the SNS accelerator systems and neutron beam lines. These can be one-of-a-kind or first-of-a-kind systems and frequently have unique alignment issues, often requiring innovative solutions.
* Works with scientists, engineers, and technicians to achieve required alignment and mapping tolerances.
* Plans and supervises fiducialization of mechanical components.
* Plans and supervises alignment during installation and modification of neutron beam lines.
* Plans and supervises alignment during installation and modification of accelerator components.
* Produces accurate and concise technical reports.
* Prepares presentations for and responds to recommendations from design reviews and advisory committees.
* Participates in R&D and prototyping of proposed experimental equipment.
* Accurately and reliably communicates technical status and performance to ORNL management.
* Complies with ORNL environment, safety, health, and quality program requirements.
* Maintains a strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation of ORNL values and ethics.
* BS in surveying, engineering, or related field
* Minimum of 2 years of relevant surveying, metrology, and engineering experience
* Demonstrated understanding of analytic geometry, uncertainty propagation, and 3D coordinate system transformations.
* Demonstrated understanding of engineering drawings and associated CAD models.
* Ability to technically analyze and communicate engineering problems.
* Excellent communication skills and ability to work independently are required. Must have the ability to function as part of a team consisting of scientific specialists, engineers, and technicians to meet project cost and schedule goals.
* Experience of at least a year in a relevant technician level role
* 5 years of experience in relevant non-technician roles (designing/planning procedures)
* Experience with accelerators or neutron instruments
* Familiarity with Spatial Analyzer and Creo software.
* Understanding of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing.
* Programming ability.
* Experience with laser trackers or coordinate measurement machines.
* Experience with remotely-actuated precision alignment feedback systems (e.g., involving hydrostatic levels, LVDTs).
Work Direction and Interface:
Position reports to the Survey, Alignment, and Metrology Team Lead. Coordinates activities with personnel at all levels within ISD and other divisions within NScD.
Authority/Approval Levels: Provides work direction to technicians in the Survey, Alignment, and Metrology team. Provides technical guidance for making purchasing decisions.
Measures of Effectiveness:
* Demonstrates technical competence.
* Successfully leads assigned work activities to safe, effective, and efficient completion.
* Positive feedback from staff scientists and engineers.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify Employer.
Oak Ridge National Laboratory offers an exceptional benefits package to include a generous relocation, matching 401K, Pension Plan, Paid Vacation and medical / dental plan. Onsite amenities include Credit Union, Medical Clinic and free fitness facilities.
Additional inquiries can be made to Steve Cherry, Recruiter, US ITER / Oak Ridge National Laboratory: firstname.lastname@example.org or (865) 356-6827