The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research centre for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and
applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether PSI
employs 2000 people.
The Division for Research with Neutrons and Muons (NUM) is responsible for the Swiss Spallation Neutron Source (SINQ), the Ultra-cold Neutron Source (UCN), the Swiss Muon Source and the facilities for particle physics at the PSI. For the operation and development of its neutron instrumentation and sources, the Division NUM is looking for a
Head of Laboratory
Neutron Instrumentation and Sources
The new Head of Laboratory will be responsible for the Laboratory for Scientific Developments and Novel Materials (LDM). LDM includes groups for mechanical and electrical engineering, sample environment and low-temperature physics, neutron optics and scientific computing, and solid-state chemistry. In the future, it will also include the group operating and developing the neutron sources SINQ and UCN.
• Lead the LDM laboratory with 70 members and its science program
• Organise the technical support for the user program
• Operate and develop the neutron sources SINQ and UCN
• Realise the SINQ guide and instrumentation upgrade programs
• Lead the Swiss instrumentation projects at the European Spallation Source ESS
• PhD in physics, chemistry, engineering or related fields
• Leading expert in scientific instrumentation and/or neutron sources
• Excellent track record in science and in the realisation of large projects
• Proven leadership, communication and project management skills
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with
our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
Paul Scherrer Institut
Human Resources Management,
5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland,
For further information please contact Prof. Dr Christian Rüegg, phone +41 56 310 47 78
Please submit your application online (including list of publications and addresses of referees) for the position as a Head of Laboratory (index no. 3600-00).