Design Technical Engineer in the Engineering Department (EN), Handling Engineering (HE), Heavy Handling section (HH).
- The Engineering Department which provides CERN with the Engineering Competences, Infrastructure Systems and Technical Coordination required for the design, installation, operation, maintenance and dismantling phases of the CERN accelerator complex and its experimental facilities.
- The mandate of the Handling Engineering (HE) Group is to provide transport and handling services for the technical infrastructure of CERN's accelerators and experiments. This includes the design, tendering/procurement, installation, commissioning, operation and the maintenance and decommissioning of standard industrial and custom built transport and handling equipment.
- The Heavy Handling (HH) section prepares, organizes and executes all transport and handling operations for accelerators and experiments and CERN users in general. In order to fulfil its mandate the section manages several supply, service and rental contracts. It has his own design office to provide studies for handling any kind of components at CERN including accelerator components and physics apparatus up to the installation into the final destination (cavern, tunnel or experimental area). The design office provides: handling studies, handling tooling and machines definition, mechanical design and plans of them, up to the follow up of the construction phase and use (follow up of the whole cycle).
As a Design Technical Engineer in the Heavy Handling Section, you will use the software CATIA to produce 3D and 2D construction drawings of handling toolings and machines.
- Design components and propose solutions for different handling problems.
- Verify the compliance with respect to international standards and safety codes.
- Perform simple structural analysis with simulation tools (e.g. Ansys) or follow-up with other Design Offices for complex cases.
- Prepare 3D models and 2D drawings.
- Procure components and follow the construction of the elements he has designed.
- Ensure validation of solutions by the relevant CERN safety officers.
- Follow up the handling Technicians during the handling operations to provide technical support.
Bachelor in the field of mechanical engineering or industrial design of mechanical components, or equivalent. Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Extensive experience working in a design office of a mechanical firm producing and selling devices for industries (machines, tooling, components).
- Demonstrated experience in mastering the entire design process, from conception to the design phase, including personal experience in the realisation of execution drawings and follow-up of manufacturing in a mechanical workshop.
- Demonstrated experience in the field of design and calculation of mechanical tooling and structures using CAE softwares (e.g. Ansys).
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- 3D and 2D technical drawing.
- Design of mechanical systems.
- Mechanical analysis and modelling.
- Knowledge of metallic materials properties.
- Installation and dismantling of mechanical equipment and systems.
The language competencies required are:
- Good knowledge of English or French.
- The ability to understand and speak the other language in routine situations such as meetings and work site coordination is required, or the willingness to acquire this skill rapidly.
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 09.05.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database. Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry. Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.