Do you always wonder why something works the way it does, and what would happen if you didn’t follow the expected path? If you have coding skills and enjoy technical challenges then a career in test could provide the creative outlet for your curiosity.
Working closely with the development team you will design and create test harnesses and scripts to thoroughly test the products being developed. The sort of software written by development is often at the electronics/software boundary and/or in a constrained environment (e.g. tight memory, low power).
As you develop, with specific training and support, you will become responsible for:
- The scoping and design of all test activities, usually on more than one project at once
- The design and maintenance of bespoke test harnesses, including test script creation
- Delivery of high-quality code, compliant with our internal coding standards
- Carrying out your specific project tasks within the timescales and budgets agreed with the project manager
- As your experience develops, you might wish to take on further responsibilities.
To meet the requirements of this role you will have:
- A good degree in a technical subject, such as computer science, engineering or physics
- Experience of scripting in Python
- Good communication skills
In addition, any experience of the following would be advantageous:
- Understanding of wireless communications systems
- Windows / Linux / iOS programming
- Other languages such as C
- User interface test techniques (Ethical Hacker / Selenium)
- Working in Agile and V-Model environments
- Bug tracking systems such as JIRA or Bugzilla
- DOORS / Rational Quality Manager