Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee, US
To apply for this position, applicants must visit the ORNL website and apply: https://www.ornl.gov/careers
The Neutron Sciences Directorate (NScD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) operates the High Flux Isotope Reactor (HFIR), the United States' highest flux reactor based neutron source, and the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS), the world's most intense pulsed accelerator based neutron source. Together these facilities operate 30 instruments for neutron scattering research, each year carrying out in excess of 1,000 experiments in the physical, chemical, materials, biological and medical sciences for more than 3,000 visiting scientists. To learn more about Neutron Sciences at ORNL go to: http://neutrons.ornl.gov. ORNL is also home of the Oak Ridge Leadership Computing Facility (OCLF), the Center for Nanophase Materials Science (CNMS) complemented by a large theory and materials science program.
Oak Ridge National Laboratory seeks to hire a team leader heading the neutron scattering data analysis and materials modeling team as part of the scientific data analysis group. Our approach is based on complementary and synergistic research activities in modeling, simulation, data analysis and experimentation. These efforts build on a long-standing collaboration between the Neutron Sciences Directorate (NScD) and the Computational and Computer Sciences Directorate (CCSD) at ORNL. The successful candidate will express and execute on a vision for research in particular areas of materials science, incorporating strengths in theory, modeling, simulation, analysis and experimental methods that emphasizes the validity of an integrated approach.
- Responsible for managing a team that establishes scientific leadership to develop advanced data analysis, modeling and simulation methods for neutron scattering data.
- Manage multi-disciplinary team from different ORNL Directorates and different Divisions within NScD.
- Collaborate and work with key stakeholders to include University of Tennessee and other core universities to establish and maintain outstanding relationships.
- Maintain and extend the outstanding and collaborative relationships between Neutron Sciences Directorate, Computational Sciences Directorate and Physical Sciences to develop a common vision for the future of modeling and simulation in materials science and neutron scattering.
- PhD in Materials Science, Physics, Chemistry, Modeling, Computational Materials Science or other science related field.
- Must have five to ten years of Computational Materials Science and Modeling, or related experience
- Must demonstrate the experience and vision needed to advance the state of the art in modeling, theory and simulation extracting scientific knowledge from neutron scattering data
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills and be able to present neutron scattering and modeling material to a variety of audiences
- Previous experience with developing strategies for neutron scattering and modeling while in an executive management role is preferred.
- Previous experience in machine learning is desired.
- A demonstrated ability to collaborate and complete projects within a diverse scientific and cultural research community is preferred.
- Previous management experience working in a diverse research environment is preferred.
- NScD prefers applicants that enjoy working in a team environment, with the collaboration of all levels, disciplines, and diverse cultural backgrounds of the organization.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/orhired.
We accept Word(.doc, .docx), Excel(.xls, .xlsx), PowerPoint(.ppt, .pptx), Adobe(.pdf), Rich Text Format(.rtf), HTML(.htm,.hmtl) and text files(.txt) up to 2MB in size.
Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify Employer.