Digital Electronics Engineer in the Beams Department (BE), Beam Instrumentation Group (BI).
CERN is looking for an Electronics Engineer to join its Beams Department, which hosts the Groups responsible for beam generation, acceleration, diagnostics, controls and performance optimisation. The position will be in the Beam Instrumentation Group where you will take part in developing and building the instruments used by the accelerator operators to measure the particle beams being produced and accelerated at CERN.
As a Digital Electronics Engineer specialising in Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) design your main task will be to develop, test and maintain the FPGA firmware for various upgrades to the acquisition systems of Large Hadron Collider (LHC) beam instrumentation.
You will be involved in projects such as processing high frequency electromagnetic or electro-optical signals recovered from the particle beams or producing a highly reliable designs for upgrading safety critical systems.
You will also take part in the operational optimisation and maintenance of existing measurement systems throughout the CERN accelerator complex.
The job will involve:
- The design of digital acquisition electronics based on field programmable logic-based devices (FPGA).
- The design and test of front-end digital acquisition electronics systems operating in the GHz regime.
- The design and verification of safety critical FPGA firmware.
- Test, installation and maintenance of electronic acquisition systems in CERN's accelerators.
- Optimisation of the performance of these instruments in partnership with the CERN Operations Group.
- Collaboration with both internal and external partners.
Master's degree in the field of electronic engineering, or equivalent.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience in the field of electronics engineering with emphasis on the design of digital electronics using field programmable logic-based devices (FPGA).
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Design of electronics based on field programmable logic-based devices (FPGA).
- Design of digital signal conditioning and processing electronics.
- Digital circuit testing and measurement techniques.
- Commissioning, operation and maintenance of electronic systems.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages.
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 19.03.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry. Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.