Industrial Control Technician in the Technology Department (TE); Vacuum, Surfaces and Coatings Group (VSC); Interlocks, Controls and Monitoring Section (ICM).
You will join:
- The TE Department, responsible for technologies which are specific to existing particle accelerators, facilities and future projects.
- The VSC Group, responsible for the design, construction, operation, maintenance and upgrade of high and ultra-high vacuum systems for accelerators and detectors.
- The ICM Section, in charge of the design, implementation, maintenance and consolidation of the vacuum control systems of all CERN accelerators.
As an Industrial Control Technician in the ICM section, you will participate in the development, maintenance, and operation of the control systems of existing and new vacuum installations.
- Contribute to the definition and implementation of control systems for consolidations and new installations.
- Follow-up on the manufacture; perform or coordinate installation and commissioning works on the field.
- Test, configure, calibrate, maintain and repair control hardware & software; including: cables, connectors, electrical crates, electronic modules and PLCs. Manage the stock of controllers and associated components.
- Write detailed technical reports, procedures and manuals; keep accurate tracking of the on-going activities.
- Proactively contribute to the standardization and optimization of vacuum control systems; apply QA tools and methods; monitor and analyse the performance of the running systems; propose improvements.
- Provide support to the vacuum and accelerator operation teams; participate in the field interventions to assure maintenance, diagnose and repair equipment in all CERN's accelerators.
Higher technical diploma in one of these fields: Automation, Electronics, Electricity, Physical Measurements, or equivalent.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience with installation, configuration, commissioning and maintenance of PLC-based control systems, including field interventions in large and distributed control systems.
- Initial experience in definition and implementation of hardware architecture of control systems.
- Knowledge of vacuum control systems' architecture and components would be an asset.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Installation, maintenance and operation of control systems: monitoring, diagnostics, logistics and stock.
- Commissioning, maintenance and operation of vacuum systems: including diversity of installations.
- Project management: small projects organisation, planning, and coordination with other stakeholders.
- Configuration and programming of PLC and fieldbus system / programming of PLCs: Siemens-S7 and Profibus.
- Assembly of connectors and cables, including related techniques and tools.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in routine situations.
- Ability to draw up technical texts in English, as well as ability to understand and speak French in professional contexts.
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 16.03.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry. Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Require work in Radiation Areas.
- Require interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.