You will join:
- The Communication Systems (CS) Group, responsible for the Networking & Telecommunications Infrastructure (voice and data) of the Laboratory. In terms of networking, the Group is responsible for a campus network making use of state of the art technologies to support over 60,000 fixed and Wi-Fi clients, a high-performance data centre network for over 10,000 servers and a high-reliability dedicated network supporting infrastructure critical to the operation of CERN's accelerators. The Group also operates CERN's fixed telephone system (10,000 connections), dedicated GSM infrastructure (6,000 mobiles) and TETRA radio communication system.
- The Communication Tools (CT) Section, a team of passionate software developers in charge of the design, development and maintenance of the software suite used to model, configure, support and manage all of CERN's network and telecommunication infrastructures.
More information about the Department is available here: http://information- technology.web.cern.ch/.
As Software Developer in the CT Section, you will:
- Maintain and further develop the IT/CS web interfaces used by all CERN users to request network/telephony changes.
- Together with the other members of the team, participate in the design and development of new modules for the internal IT/CS network and telecom management framework, such as network and IP telephony automation/provisioning.
- Promote and develop the procedures and tools to further increase the quality of the produced software: enhance the CS continuous integration and automated testing frameworks.
- Mentor junior developers.
- Propose and implement changes in our database model and network APIs in order to support service integration solutions in the CERN data centers.
- Stay up to date on latest software technology trends.
Master's degree in the field of Computing, Computer Science, Software Engineering, or equivalent.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Proven experience in development and maintenance of large software packages in Java.
- Demonstrated experience in software development life cycle: unit testing, continuous integration, version control, documentation.
- Database design and working knowledge of SQL.
- User-centric design principles and methodologies.
- Understanding of TCP/IP addressing and networking
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Software development process improvement: agile methodologies, continuous integration, software reviews.
- Solution architecture: requirements specification collection and analysis, proposal for new software architectures.
- Database/Repository design: development tools, specification, design and maintenance of mechanisms for modelling large and complex infrastructures.
- Application support: provide specialised 3rd line support to business specialists.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English with the ability to draw-up technical documentations and specifications and to make oral presentations.
- The ability to understand and speak French in professional contexts would be an advantage.
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 15.03.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry. Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
This position requires:
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.