- Job search
- Future jobs by email
- Your application
- Your interview
- Recruitment agencies
Media Officer Department: Communications
Salary: £26,173 – £27,481
We are looking for a dedicated and passionate Media Officer to coordinate, develop and oversee the media relations and social media functions of the Institute of Physics (IOP). The successful applicant will join our Communications team in London.
- Managing our press office, including:
- Responding to media enquiries and providing proactive media promotion for Institute policies and events
- Managing the media relations infrastructure, including media lists and evaluation services
- Promotion of content from Physics World, our monthly magazine, to other media outlets
- Coordinating colleagues across the Communications team, the Institute as a whole and, often, partner organisations to ensure readiness for timely and impactful promotion of our projects and campaigns
- Managing our social media infrastructure, including:
- Overseeing and developing our social media strategy and associated policies in collaboration with the Head of Communications
- Managing presence on social networking sites, including the Institute’s flagship presences on Twitter (@physicsnews) and Facebook
- Managing the day-to-day running of our social media dash board to ensure smooth and coordinated running of social media activities
Further tasks and responsibilities are detailed within the job description.
We are looking for proactive and dependable person who is able to think ahead and act to ensure the smooth and timely completion of team/individual objectives. The ideal candidate will have great organisational and interpersonal skills, and will be able to communicate clearly both in writing and orally.
You will have exposure to and knowledge of how a press office works. Essential to this role is an in-depth knowledge of social media platforms and how they can be used effectively in different scenarios. You should have an enthusiasm for science communication and you must be able to demonstrate a flair for news writing.
The Institute of Physics is a charity that works to support all those who share a passion for physics. We have been inspiring the physics community and beyond for more than 140 years through our network of more than 50,000 members in the UK, Ireland and internationally. Our work encourages people to develop their interest in physics, whether in the classroom, in colleges and universities, in businesses, or at home. We do this by breaking traditional boundaries and crossing into the arts, sport and innovation.
This is an exciting time to join the team in our central London office. As we move into the next phase of our five-year strategy, which will include our move to the heart of the redevelopment in King’s Cross, close to partners such as Wellcome and Google, we are seeking new talent to help us create a contemporary organisation that is fit for the future.
Salary: £26,173 – £27,481
Hours: 35 hours per week
For further information on this role and to apply please see the job description.
The Institute kindly requests no contact from recruitment agencies regarding this role.
Closing date for applications: Monday 13 March 2017
Interviews to be held: Friday 24 March 2017