The Institute of Physics is rewarding outstanding physics and engineering graduates who are intending to train to teach physics in September 2017. We are awarding 150 Teacher Training Scholarships with £30,000 tax-free funding, free IOP membership and CPD opportunities to graduates who have the potential to become great teachers of physics. Each scholarship is designed to provide prospective teachers with financial and academic support during physics teacher training and beyond.
Each teacher training scholarship provides:
- £30,000 tax-free funding
- Free IOP membership for the teacher training year
- Celebration events at the beginning of teacher training
- Networking events and educational trips throughout the teacher training year.
IOP Scholarships are exclusive awards, so not everyone entering physics teacher training will receive one. We only have 150 to award and these will be given to the very best individuals who impress us with their academic record, physics subject knowledge and commitment to teaching. As IOP Scholarships are funded by the Department for Education, we can only award them to individuals who will be doing physics teacher training in England.
To be eligible for an IOP Teacher Training Scholarship you must:
- Have a physics or related degree (such as engineering or mathematics) with a proven or predicted grade of at least 2.1;
or hold a relevant PhD or master’s degree or recognised equivalent;
or have completed a Subject Knowledge Enhancement course in physics
- By September 2017 secure your training place on a non-salaried university-led or school-led physics or physics with maths course in England for the 2017/18 academic year
- Be classified as a ‘Home’ student. Refer to the UKCISA website for full details
- Meet the bursary eligibility criteria as set out in the National College for Teaching and Leadership's bursary guidance.
For full eligibility criteria please visit http://www.iop.org/education/teach/itts/eligibility/page_52637.html.
For more information and to apply for an IOP Teacher Training Scholarship, please visit www.iop.org/scholarships.
Browse by Specialism: Education and Communications
Browse by job type: Academic Faculty
Browse by location: Central England / East of England / London and Southeast England / North East England / North West England / South West England