Senior or Software Systems Engineer (EPICS Core)
Diamond Light Source
£32,480 - £38,211 (Discretionary range to £43,943) or £41,878 - £49,268 (Discretionary range to £56,658) for Senior level
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located on the Harwell Science & Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire a 20 minute drive south of Oxford in a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, Diamond Light Source conducts world-class research in virtually all fields of science and offers rewarding career opportunities covering both technical and scientific disciplines.
This role is a member of the High Level Application Team supporting EPICS toolkit and developing the tools required to operate and develop the control system and accelerators. The duties will involve working closely with other members of the Control System Group, other technical groups in Diamond and the wider EPICS collaboration to capture requirements, specify and develop new software and to support existing software.
- Design and development of software as part of the EPICS Controls System toolkit;
- Collaboration with other core EPICS developers on planning and the development for EPICS Core;
- Provide expert commissioning and diagnose faults relating to aspects of EPICS core software components;
- Interface with internal customers, including Engineers and Scientists, at all stages of the development life cycle to, for example, developing requirements, track project progress, and verify operation of Control Systems;
- Contribute to the processes and associated software development to support the design of Control Systems throughout Diamond and within the EPICS collaboration;
- Report on progress in all areas on a periodic basis;
- Maintain a current knowledge of the Control Systems on other, comparable, beamline and accelerator projects;
- Represent Diamond at EPICS Collaboration meetings and workshops, and manage hosting of meetings at Diamond.
Senior Software Systems Engineer only:
- Represent Diamond Light Source in the international EPICS collaboration;
- Provide technical expertise across Diamond on EPICS core software components;
- Communicate planned and ongoing developments of EPICS with Diamond;
- As required design and develop the Control System of one or more accelerator/beamline technical subsystems;
- Liaise with, and supervise, contractors and suppliers of turn key Control Systems;
- Provide technical expertise in software development and skills in software design for real-time distributed control systems;
- Project planning and coordination of projects relating to Control Systems for accelerators and/or beamlines and core EPICS developments;
- Communicate details of Control System developments within Diamond and to other projects;
- Mentor and train more junior engineers as required.
Software Systems Engineer only:
- Provide operational support across Diamond on EPICS software components;
- Support of contractors and suppliers of Control Systems;
- Maintain and develop technical expertise in software development.
For further information and to apply, please click on the apply button, to visit our website.
Closing date: 31 January 2017.
We are committed to equality of opportunities for all and our employees come from many countries, cultures and backgrounds.