Accelerator Physicist in the Beams Department (BE), Accelerators & Beam Physics Group (ABP), Hadron Synchrotrons Single particle effects Section (HSS).
You will join:
The Accelerators and Beam Physics (ABP) group, part of the Beams department (BE), in charge of beam performance over the complete CERN accelerator chain, from the source to the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) and carries out Research & Development (R&D) activities on the upgrade of the LHC, its injectors, the Compact Linear Collider (CLIC), and Future Circular Colliders study (FCC).
The design of new accelerators and the optimization of the performance of existing ones requires powerful simulation tools, capable of performing optics computations, single-particle tracking and collective effects simulations. The ABP group is leading in this domain and it supports and develops several codes, of which MAD-X and SixTrack are examples with great renown.
As Accelerator Phycisist in the BE-ABP-HSS Section, you will participate to the development of simulations codes, namely MAD-X and SixTrack, and of the tools needed to perform massive numerical simulations, including the volunteer-based system LHC@home and others, under development, running on High Performance Computing clusters.
- Develop and maintain software tools for numerical simulations of charged particle beam dynamics.
After a period of familiarisation you will:
- Contribute to the development of the existing simulation codes by extending existing capabilities or adding new ones as required by the studies and projects covered in the group.
- Participate in the development of existing and new software tools aimed at performing massive numerical simulations, including also volunteer-based and High Performance Computing platforms.
- Contribute to the maintenance and users' support of the existing simulation codes.
PhD in the field of Physics or Engineering, or equivalent.
The experience required for this position is:
- A first relevant experience in a scientific environment preferably in the design and/or simulation of charged particle dynamics in particle accelerators; an alternative could be extensive experience in a scientific environment preferably in design and/or simulation of charged particle dynamics in particle accelerators.
- Experience with programming and/or supporting simulation codes.
- Experience of accelerator physics, with demonstrated ability to compute beam optics.
- Experience with beam dynamics simulation codes.
The following experience would be considered an asset:
- Experience with one of the following codes: MAD-X, SixTrack.
- Experience of massive numerical simulations with modern simulations codes.
- Experience of experimental techniques and analysis of data from beam measurements.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Knowledge of accelerator physics theory.
- Programming/Software development.
- Accelerator operation: accelerator and beam physics; beam dynamics simulation.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English or French: the ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts would be an advantage.
- Ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages.
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 08.01.2017.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.