We have FOUR separate R&D clients around the Cambridge & Hertfordshire areas looking for Human Factors, Usability & Ergonomics specialists. These companies are responsible for some of the most innovative 'next generation' products across a range of sectors including Medical Devices, Personal Healthcare, FMCG, Industrial Machines, Consumer Electronics, White Goods and Brown Goods. In each case, their multi-disciplined teams of Engineers and Scientists are world renowned for their user-centric approach to designing products, resulting in a queue of big-name companies knocking on their doors for assistance.
To strengthen their capabilities they all need experienced (or in one case, a recent Graduate/recent PhD) Human Factors & Usability Consultants -ideally with experience of working with medical technologies or personal healthcare products -although there is some flexibility on this. You will design, execute and analyse usability studies through observational and ethnographic research, focus groups and quantitative/statistical analysis -then ensure the end result is simply the best, most inclusive and user friendly product possible. These are jobs for the type of individual who relishes an opportunity to grab and develop the next truly innovative product, delivering ground breaking ideas and 'disruptive' technology.
Job Title: Human Factors / Usability & Ergonomics Specialists
Location: Cambridgeshire and North Hertfordshire areas.
Salary- circa £40-75k (or around £26-35k for a recent graduate or PhD) plus full benefits packages and superb career and personal development potential.
Tasks & Responsibilities:
With vacancies at four separate companies, there are subtle variations but the core details are consistent: the Human Factors Specialist will undertake all the usability activities throughout the development process, from needs identification / interpretation and usability assessments in the early stages of innovation, through to usability handling studies, user insights and risk mitigation in the detail design phase. You will be part of the team that works at the front end of the product development process on assignments in the medical device, healthcare, FMCG & consumer technology product sectors.
You will also:
- Manage projects and undertake the usability lead on large product development programmes;
- Direction and implementation of user testing methodologies;
- Lead and participate in client interaction, usability marketing activities and support selling of new projects.
With a wide range of tasks, responsibilities and product/project assignments you can guarantee boredom will never be an issue!
Essential Experience and Academic Requirements:
- Excellent academics with a good degree in Human Factors, Ergonomics, Ethnographics, Industrial Design or maybe Psychology, Anthropology or related discipline. An MSc/MA or PhD is desirable
In depth understanding of customer focused research techniques, including insight / needs translation, observational and ethnographic research, interviewing, focus groups, usability assessment and handling studies; interpreting user interaction and ergonomics with respect to product design and development;
- A real interest in using technology and innovative thinking to address/solve real-world commercial issues;
- Strong interpersonal, team and communication skills.
Experience in the following would be desirable but is not critical:
- Knowledge and experience of EU, ISO and FDA standards such as IEC62366,
- Usability with respect to user interface/GUI design and development;
- Cognitive psychology;
- Capability assessment and profiling
- Quantitative and statistical analysis techniques.
- Project Management
For more information or to apply: please contact Adam Mayne at Vector Recruitment