Full-time 3-year fixed-term appointment
The International Bureau of Weights and Measures (BIPM) in Sèvres near Paris, France, is an intergovernmental organization with the role to provide the basis for world-wide uniformity of measurements through the International System of Units (SI). It has 56 Member States and an international staff of over 70. Further information about the BIPM can be found on the website: www.bipm.org.
The BIPM Mass Department plays a unique and globally important role in mass metrology by providing mass calibrations traceable to the international prototype of the kilogram, kept at the BIPM. The Mass Department actively supports through its research and development programme the preparations for a new definition of the kilogram which will take place in the near future.
The BIPM is now seeking an experienced applied physicist for the further development of the BIPM watt balance. The watt balance is a complex electromechanical experiment which will allow the future redefinition of the kilogram with respect to the Planck constant. The successful applicant will join a small international team and will have the opportunity to develop and improve equipment which embodies state-of-the-art capabilities. The closing date for applications is 18 March 2014.
- participate in the further development of the watt balance apparatus
- carry out tests of the performance of the apparatus
- identify and implement necessary improvements
- analyse measurement data and undertake theoretical and experimental studies
- PhD or equivalent advanced degree in physics. Candidates possessing a lower degree and having appropriate work experience will be considered
- several years of experience of working on a complex and multi-disciplinary experiment
- broad knowledge and practical experience of various branches of physics, in particular: optics, mechanics, gravimetry and electrical measurements
- good knowledge of written and spoken English, and the willingness to acquire a working knowledge of French
- ability to work in a multicultural environment and to maintain good working relations inside and outside the organization.
The BIPM offers a full-time 3-year fixed-term appointment to be filled as soon as possible. Remuneration and conditions of employment are comparable with those of other international organizations based in France. The basic salary will lie in the band of 48 k€ to 58 k€, depending on the employee’s experience, and will be supplemented by various allowances specific to individual circumstances and family situation. An allowance for relocation will be paid to staff recruited internationally. Salaries and allowances are exempt from national income tax. The BIPM offers a defined benefit pension scheme and subscribes to private medical insurance for its staff and their families.
The BIPM encourages applications from both women and men with relevant qualifications. A full Curriculum Vitae (C.V.) and covering letter should be sent to
by 18 March 2014. Applications should include the names of two referees who could be asked to comment upon the candidate’s suitability for the post. Only short-listed applicants will be invited for an interview.
Requests for additional information may be addressed to Dr Michael Stock, interim Director of the Mass Department: firstname.lastname@example.org.