The ELI (Extreme Light Infrastructure) Project is an integral part of the European Union plan to build the next generation of large research facilities. ELI-Beamlines as a cutting edge laser facility is currently being constructed in Prague, Czech Republic; its commissioning is scheduled for end of 2015. ELI will be delivering ultrashort, ultraintense laser pulses lasting typically a few femtoseconds (10-15 fs) with some laser systems reaching peak power up to 10 PW. It will make available time synchronized laser beams over wide range intensities for wide range of interdisciplinary applications in physics, medicine, biology, material science etc. The high laser electric field intensities of the laser pulse will be also used for generating secondary sources of e- and p+.
This is a unique opportunity to be involved in defining and implementing the state-of-the-art laser technology and construction of a new EU science facility. More details about this project can be found on www.eli-beams.eu
For implementation of the kilojoule nanosecond laser system which will be a major part of the 10 PW beamline we invite applications for a new group member
LASER PHYSICIST - Senior Researcher (REF:ELI-L4-LS03 High Power Amplifiers)
The suitable candidate will be responsible for
- contributing to design of the high energy amplifiers for a kilojoule nanosecond laser system;
- coordinating development, installation and commissioning of the kilojoule amplifiers and their subsequent operation;
- working closely with a team of scientists, optical and mechanical engineers, control system engineers and programmers;
- close cooperation with other European research centres and commercial companies in developing the pulse diagnostics technology needed for ELI;
- preparing technical tender documentation for technology/equipment orders;
- independent scientific research and publishing, participating in conferences.
- Candidates are expected to have PhD in the broad area of laser physics/quantum electronics/optics/metrology;
- proven record of at least 2 years practical experience with either design, construction or operation of solid-state high power/high energy systems (minimum energy 2 J);
- excellent organizational skills;
- good working knowledge of the English;
- strong technical writing and communication skills
The following knowledge and experience would be also desirable:
- Experience with Nd:glass laser amplifiers;
- Experience with laser diagnostics for high power systems;
- Experience with femtosecond lasers, pulse compressor design;
- Experience with control systems and data taking;
- Experience working in an large scale research facility setting;
- Knowledge of Matlab, C/C++, Java or LabView programming ;
Location ELI Beamlines, Institute of Physics AS CR v.v.i., Prague, Czech Republic Duration 2-3 years renewable, possibility of extension
Applications should be sent to Mrs Mirka Svobodova (Mirka.Svobodova@eli-beams.eu, tel.+420733690901). Please provide your curriculum vitae and cover letter (in English), as well as the names and contact details (e-mail address and phone number) of two references. Please include the following text in your cover letter, to allow us to process your personal details:
A agree that, according to the decree 101/2000 coll.(Czech Republic), my personal details sent to FZU AV CR, v.v.i. , Na Slovance 2, 18221 Praha 8, Czech Republic can be used for the purpose of obtaining employment and management of database of employment candidates. This permission is given for the period of one year and can be at any time withdrawn by giving a notice in writing.
The deadline for applications is open. Candidates will be reviewed and given initial feedback within about a month and for those that pass initial review reference letters will be sought. Relevant candidates will be invited to interview by phone or videoconference, and final interviews will be held in person.